Subject: Re: FLASH: Running-performance question
From: David Gary
Date: Sun, 9 May 1999 23:26:18 +0100

"Lena Bj�rklund" wrote:

> Hi.
> I was wondering how you skilled Flash-producers solve problems
> concerning different performance of your movies on different platforms.
> Myself I am working on a Mac with 275 mhz processor and 56 kps modem,
> quite an ordinary equipment for an average user, I think. On a machine
> that has 400 mhz processor my movies run far too quickly and sound files
> don�t synchronize.

Hiya Lena,

Your questions depend on your target audience. Alot of new flash
developers(non-traditional web design)
make the mistake of assuming that what they see on their computer is what
everyone will see. That is far
from the truth. I found that out on my own. As in traditional webdesign, new
developers are unaware
of the slew of sometimes unavoidable problems that can occure, from platform
to platform, browser to
browser. This is one reason I chose Flash for interactive development for
web presence. Java applets,
Gif animations, and unoptimised static images have given graphics on the web
a bad name and sometimes are not worth
using. Anyway, enough of my rabbling.

Just as any project, you figure out what your (or client's) target audience
is. What content are you delivering? Do
you really need Flash to deliver it? Do you know enough about the medium to
deliver it successfully/professionally?

I develop most graphics on 2 workstations(p400/128m/Win95/NT) I do all
testing on low end system( p133) which is
is about as low as most flash sites need to be optimised for. I also develop
for 56k leaving a little leaway for 28.8 users.

Again, all this depends on the target audience. If its for the masses,
develop and test for the lowest common denominator.
I've had a few complaints about my personal site, that the navigation was
slow, therefore time consuming and took away from the effectivness. After
some research I found out most of these visitors were on p133, 166, and 200.

I was designing for no less than a p233 performance since my target audience
was not everyone.

Optimize as much as possible, but dont let your own work suffer if you are
not targeting the masses. However if your
commissioned by a client or broker, then learn what the audience is and
develop/test accordingly.

Also I make it a rule of thumb to always development movies at 30 fps. Then
I test on lowest system targeted. Then
when testing on fast system I can reduce framerate if necessary. This
usually will not effect low end while still controlling
high end animation rate.

hth,

-DG-

-David Gary-
Interactive Producer/Designer
http://www.davidgarystudios.com
dgarystudiosatmpinet [dot] net (mailto:dgarystudiosatmpinet [dot] net)