Subject: Re: FLASH: Layered buttons & sounds
From: John Croteau
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 18:49:51 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Marc,

> Thanks for the help. However I haven't been able to get it work. A couple
> of things are not clear to me (read on):
I may understand completely how you wanted this to work. It very much
depends on the sounds.

> >The basic setup is a two frame Movie Clip.
> >In the first frame place 4 concentric buttons.
> > 0, 1, 2, 3
> Did this. Made 0 the largest, 3 the smallest, and stacked them in layers
> so 3 is on top.
This is the easiest way.

> >Place the first Event sound in Button 1, second in 2 and third in 3.
> >In Button zero place either a Stop All Sounds or 3 Sound Stop events.
> >When the button 3 is moused over you will have a Go to Action to the
> >Second Frame.
> I put the sounds into the Over frame of each button in symbol edit mode.
> Is this what you meant? I left all buttons as Track as Button.
Yes, but the technique I descibed will have sounds coming in one at a
time layered thus when you get to Button 3 all 3 sounds would be
playing.

> >The Second frame will also have 4 buttons.
> > Frame 3 will habve a button that has no Sound function.
> > Frame 2 will have a Stop Sound 3 Action.
> > Frame 1 will have Stop Sounds 2 and 3.
> > Frame 0 will have either a Stop All sounds or Stop Sounds 1, 2, & 3.
> I assumed by "Frame 3" you meant Button 3, etc. I created 3 new concentric
> buttons for this so that they would not have the sounds embedded. In their
> instances in the movie clip I created the actions as you advised. I did
> not know if the movie clip needed to loop, so I didn't insert any other
> actions (stop or Go to 1).
Correct Should say Button not frames.
Yes you need a stop action in frame 1 of this and most Movie Clips.
In fact if you are making a Movie Clip unless you specifically want it
to loop you generally want a stop action (most often in Frame 1).

> The results were quite mixed, almost random. Sound 2 wsa most
> unpredictable. I also got sounds looping on top of one another.
I probably didn't understand how you wanted it to work, so answer the 3
questions below for me first before I revise or explain a technique:

1) Layered (one sound added to the next) or consecutive (one after the
other)

2) Can be truncated or must play each sound completely

3) Each sound - Play once or Looped

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/