Subject: Re: FLASH: gee whiz
From: Bob Schwartz
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:13:13 +0100

nice to see u again, marc. actually the cleverness reminded me of your site,
which i have admired and shown on more than one occasion...each time I had to
resist the strong, dishonest urge to say "i did that!"<g>.

Marc Hoffman (Dart Frog Media) wrote:
> Use right-click>zoom and you will see the pixels that tell you it is a
> bitmap.<,

hmmm...of course...in fact, one of my friends, carlos ayala, is a flasher who
comes here and he suggested that very thing.

There are some vector elements added (such as the clock
> hands). Note the fixed size, which is a consequence of needing to keep the
> bitmap at its original size (otherwise pixelization occurs).<,

why did they not convert these...too much detail lost?

also, it does take a long time to load and it has been suggested to me that it
had to do with the way they put the graphics together.

given that there is not *that* much in the way of graphics, can you suggest,
"why" and how they ought to have done it?

Easiest way to
> make things appear in the monitor is to have a mask above them, limiting
> their visible area to the shape of the monitor screen.<<

ahhhh...thanks.

>> Awhile back, I
> created an all-vector, scalable Flash page on the same theme (virtual
> desk), on display at http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler/ik-dumb.htm. I
> must admit, however, I do like the softness of the bitmap used on the site
> you referenced.<<

I'll go there now. did u ever do anything with it?

> regards
>

> Marc Hoffman
>
> marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com).
> My Flash Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
> (featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

> For info on digest mode send: info flasher to list-manageratchinwag [dot] com

Bob Schwartz
rnsbobsatearthlink [dot] net