Subject: Re: UKNM: Domain Name Theft
From: Dominic Young
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 19:33:47 +0100

In message <4 [dot] 1 [dot] 19990407145822 [dot] 00966950atpopmail [dot] dircon [dot] co [dot] uk>, Charles
Meaden <cmeadenatdigitalnation [dot] co [dot] uk> writes
>Apologies to anyone if this seems a little old hat, but I hope someone can
>clarify the current situtation on domain names
>
>We were in the process of registering a domain name for a well known
>company, when through bad luck another company pipped us to the post. The
>domain name is a name 'unique' and could only apply to our client.
>
>We have approached the company that registered the domain name to find out
>what their intentions are, and they hinting that they will sell the domain
>name for a price.
>
>Is this legal and is there anything we can do about it?
>
>Regards
>
>Charles Meaden

Charles

Refer them to the "One in a Million" case (several references at
http://www.nic.uk/news/index.html). If your client has a trademark and
the others don't have a legitimate claim on the domain then I think
they're on very shaky ground. It might be worth bunging them a couple of
hundred quid for a quiet life but if they don't go for that I would hand
it over to a decent lawyer (of which I am not one - if you're really
worried about this you should definitely find one and consult them) and
look forward to a quick settlement. I have been involved with - and won
- a few similar cases and haven't been to court yet.

--
Dominic Young