Subject: Re: UKNM: Data on On-Site Games and traffic
From: Eric Ward
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 18:58:03 +0100

On Thu, 19 Aug 1999, Vincent O'Keeffe wrote:

>You know the types of useless brand-centric doo-hickeys I'm talking about.
>Personally, I can see how having a game on your site might peak a user's
>interest initially but since the majority of games that you find on sites
>are rubbish, they won't bother playing it a second time. I mean, as a web

I heard a funny quote once at a conference regarding
shockwave games

"if you've played one shockwave game you've played them all"

And if you think about it, it's kinda the truth. Since there
is only so much you can do and still have the download size
be tolerable, whatever game you create is sort of forced into
being a pale comparison of what it might be if it were at an
arcade. Throwing a tomato at Granny (eat.com), hitting a
a ball (espn.com), or pong (usopen.com), all sort of feel the
same after a while, and you just quit bothering to play any
others, becasue you have an experienced sense of what it's
like, and frankly, it aint that great. :)

However...

There are sites that specialize in featuring other site's
shockwave, and I have personally seen this result in some
nice traffic spikes. For example, Macromedia runs the
"shocked site of the day"
http://www.macromedia.com/shockzone/ssod/
and there's http://www.shockrave.com/
and this list's own Sam Michel used to run a good one as
well.

So if you build some shockwave into a site it's certainly
worth taking three seconds to submit it to them. If they
feature your site it will result in visits to it.

Caveat: Realize this type of visitor isn't exactly someone
who is into your site's other content, they are merely on the
prowl for shockwave sites/games.

Best,

Eric Ward

T h e W a r d G r o u p . c o m
Announcing The Web's Top Launches And Events Since 1994
NetPOST, URLwire, URLseed, and Eventseed
-> Vertically driven site announcements, links & submissions
-> Creation of online site marketing plans/blueprints
EricWardatNetPOST [dot] com (mailto:EricWardatNetPOST [dot] com) http://www.NetPOST.com/