Subject: UKNM: Internet appliances in the home (was Ranty philosophy)
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 18:03:16 GMT

Ben Hedges <benatitcounts [dot] co [dot] uk> said:

> Ah, there we have it. You can sit back...How long now have we been saying
> that the reason there will never be total convergence is the simple fact
> that we consume the media of internet and TV differently?

That's because at the moment they are different media. If (I said "IF") they
converge, then by definition they will be the same medium (possibly with
different applications). Saying that they "will never" converge presumes
that the current formats will not change. But then at any point in history,
most people are unable to accept the implication of changes that are already
starting to take place (ie they suffer from "technofear").

Ben, you really must try to understand that the _only_ thing that is
constant is change. In five years time, technology _will_ be different,
however much you deny the undeniable accelaration of technological
innovation.

Getting back to the point about IP appliances in the home, the way to
understand the likely development of these is to think about application
_and_ location.

Ben's right. The living room is the relaxation room and so you will probably
continue to use your IP appliance in the living room as the focal point of
your household entertainment. It will be like the TV of the latter half of
the 20th century only much better and with many more additional functions
(including more information and interactivity).

The kitchen may well have several IP-enabled appliances including
dishwasher, washing machine, telephone and of course the fridge. These will
mostly be simple non-operator devices for logging service information with
the service centre, etc. The exception may be the fridge which may have a
simple operator device with menu/keypad/barcode device(s) for ordering
groceries.

The bedrooms / spare room / home office will have the appliance that is most
like a personal computer, but will probably include access to all of the
other functions of all of the other products. So you can use it to watch TV,
download TV programmes, play games, make video telephone calls, order
groceries, find out why the dishwasher has broken down and when the service
company want to visit, etc.

In short, the internet appliances you will find in your homes in the future
(3/5 years) will be multi-function appliances designed to fit in to specific
locations. These will "connect" to "The Internet" via any combination of
telephone lines, cable TV lines, satellite and terrestrial "TV" broadcast,
radio, microwave, infrared, power/gas inlets, etc., etc.

Anyone who thinks that none of the above will happen because they can never
imagine surfing the net in their kitchen, buying goods online in their
living room, or watching TV on the bog, please, please, please try to get
your imagination to work harder.

Are you trying yet, or are you still in denial?

Ray Taylor