Subject: Re : UKNM: Ranty philosophy
From: Ben Hedges
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 01:01:10 GMT

Television is fantastic. I can sit back, turn the set on, and I feel happy
to watch the lights and listen to the sounds wash over me. I don't have to
think or feel, I can just allow the aerial to fill my brain with other
people's thoughts.>>>

Ah, there we have it. You can sit back...How long now have we been saying
that the reason there will never be total convergence is the simple fact
that we consume the media of internet and TV differently?

Yeah sure, if i want to sit back, relax and be entertained, then I'm much
more likely to settle down on a cosy sofa in front of the TV. However, if I
want information, I'll be sitting at my keyboard finding it. TV - Lean Back,
Web - Lean To

According to the latest round of NOP findings 8 of the top 10 activities for
home users are information based [exceptions being shopping and banking],
and all top 10 activities for business users are information based.....

So, not to lose the thread entirely, if we are using the internet to consume
our media differently, why would we _want_ TV style production values
anyway?

I'll go back in my box now :)

Ben.

Ben Hedges