Subject: Re: Re : UKNM: Ranty philosophy
From: Ashley Pomeroy
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 10:44:48 GMT

consume our media differently, why would we _want_ TV style production
values anyway?<<<<

Blimey, I seem to have started some kind of war. Bear in mind that I
wasn't concerned with the presentation of television or the internet, so
much as the delivery. When I say that I believe the desktop internet to be
on the way out, I don't mean that the internet itself is doomed, merely
that the distinction between set-top boxes and home PCs will eventually
vanish (mind you, this is hardly a ground-breaking
prediction). Microsoft's forthcoming X-Box will probably hurt PC sales
more than it will hurt sales of Playstation 2s, and although I am unsure
of the specifications, if it has USB there won't be much of a reason to
buy a PC anymore. Television is a passive medium at the moment, and has
been for sixty years or so - but television is just a word. The meaning
behind the word can change.

This would all be coherent if it wasn't a Monday morning, and I didn't
have work to do.

-
"In the land of the blind, the blindest man is king"
Ashley Pomeroy - arpatslab [dot] org - http://www.ashleypomeroy.com/