Subject: Re: UKNM: Web Site Analysis Software
From: Andres Varela
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 18:52:56 +0100

Sean Clarke wrote:

>I think I've had this rant before, but in my opinion the way forward in
>Web site usage analysis is what we call "Custom Logging".
>
>I know this is less straight forward than using an off-the-shelf stats
>package (and is perhaps over-the-top for some sites), but we have found
>that clients seem more than happy to pay the extra monthly fee required
>to build and service "Custom Logging" systems.

Though mine is pretty much a 'me too' posting, I agree with some
reservations.

Already in this thread I've seen WebTrends described as an off-the-shelf ap,
though anyone who has used it will agree that though it offers a sweet
little interface it can be a real sod to tailor for even a 'fairly' complex
site.

In the reports I produced for people like Baileys, Braun and Malibu
eliminating agency and company's IP addresses, there was always the question
of what elements and features of the site should be tracked. CGI calls
weren't all that important to Braun, but were important to Baileys as a lot
of their important content relied on them. Malibu was more interested in
following Shockwave vs HTML versions of the site. All (client and agency)
were uptight about the paths people took through the site. Baileys wanted
to know how regional european TV campaigns effected traffic from certain
countries.

For our own internal reports we would run a bells and whistles document
which would have details of error messages, file transfers, traffic
trends...By contrast, on the client's reports we never included gifs and
jpegs, as clients weren't interested in them. Giving them a 100 page
report which included that sort of information was only of use if they
wanted to come up with throw-away '10 million hits in just one month'
statistics.

So yes, clients want (and should get) customised logging, and the best
general purpose tool I've seen for this is the regularly upgraded WebTrends
package. Handy to have the detail if you need it, or a 2 side sit-rep.

-A/

Andres Varela - The Electronic Fundraising Company

5 St Mary Abbot's Place - London W8 6LS
(t) +44 171 603 7737 (f) +44 171 603 7481 (m) +44 7970 833404

http://www.millions2000.com/