Subject: Re: UKNM: Cost of connecting
From: Duncan Clubb
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 19:28:33 +0100

"G. Jefferson" wrote:

> I've been looking into the cost of a lo-bandwidth leased line vs. ISDN, vs.
> unmetered DSL. Right now I'm on-line for hours a day using dial-up and it
> costs a fortune. More importantly it *feels* expensive, like when you're in
> a taxi in heavy trafic. Every passing minute costs 4p.
>
> So I looked into leased lines and ISDN. From where I live in Kent to
> Telehouse would cost c. �7000 a year for 64k. (Why don't ISPs offer local
> POPs for leased line access -- a leased line to Ashford would cost about
> �4,000 p/a).

Because they would need to put in dedicated bandwidth from the local pops to
telehouse or somewhere similar for each leased line that they sold - and you'd
end up paying for it.

> With ISDN I could stay on line from 9 am to 6pm every day of the week for 50
> weeks at 64k and it would cost "only" �5,400, so a leased line doesn't make
> a lot of sense. Is there any reason to even consider it?

The rule of thumb used to be that anything more than 5 hours a day made a leased
line a cheaper option, but maybe prices have dropped since I last looked. The
big difference is that a leased line is up 24/7, which allows to you offer
services that only a permanent connection will allow (being a full SMTP node,
running your own DNS and web servers, for example). Also, 64K from a leased
line is actually better than 64K from ISDN, due to the inefficiency of the extra
protocols that operate on non-persistent connections (like PPP).

> Unmetered DSL? Will it ever happen and what would the monthly standing
> charge be likely to be?

Wouldn't we all like to know?

> This isn't as OT as it might appear. Metered access is a psychological
> barrier to internet access, hence the appleal of BT's 0800 scam -- an abuse
> of position if ever I saw one. Oftel, Monopolies & Mergers, where are you?

As far as I'm aware, BT is not allowed (by Oftel) to offer free local calls -
it's anti-competitive!

--
Duncan Clubb

e-mail: duncan [dot] clubbatoffworld [dot] net Offworld Industries,
http: www.offworld.net Britannia House,
Tel: (44)(0)171 278 3464 4-24 Britannia Street,
FAX: (44)(0)171 278 5820 London WC1X 9JD