Subject: Re: UKNM: Poor web site design
From: Jo Chipchase
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:22:44 +0100

Ray Taylor wrote:

>The question of good vs bad web site design comes up more often than
>anything else on the list, but the thing that I find lacking in the
>discussion is any question of objective criteria, methodology for assessing
>web site effectiveness, or substantial research on the subject.
>
>All we get is "I like this", "I don't like this", (obviously from people "in
>the know" rather than potential customers).
>
>Everyone has an opinion. Who's got the facts?

I agree. If you asked Joe Public to assess some of the websites criticised
on this list, I'm sure the feedback would be entirely different. Issues
such as the pixel size of frames and the RGB background colour of certain
pages would be unlikely to come into it...

You could perhaps say the same for website awards (e.g. Yell). I bet Joe
Public would make *very* different selections to the new meeja folk who
decide who to nominate... heh heh. :)