Subject: RE: UKNM: .com vs .co.uk - UK consumer understanding?
From: Jon Ewing
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 11:30:26 +0100

I think it's ultimately a judgement call but I for one
would be interested in seeing the results of any
research. We're launching our What The Papers Say site
with the URL wtps.co.uk for a couple of reasons -
first and foremost, it's a UK site about UK issues,
and second, because the .com address is owned by
another company and I believe that our site is strong
enough to survive the potential confusion. I'm running
a small business, not building a pan-global brand. If
there are two chip shops named 'Jon's Chips' in towns
50 miles apart, there's no need for one of them to
abandon the name, unless one of them has a reputation
for poor hygiene! If anything, your business might
benefit from the comparison. If I was setting up a
global site, I'd definitely go for a .com, though.
Jon Ewing
inframes.com ltd
What The Papers Say
http://www.wtps.co.uk

> Trendiness aside, I think people tend to remember
> the root of a domain name, and assume a .com ending.
>
> So if you have yourname.co.uk while yourname.com is
> owned by someone else you could be losing traffic.
> I don't know how many people will take the effort
> (or even *think* to take the effort) to try
> different
> variations of the name ("let's see, maybe it was
> www.yourname.net, or was it www.yourname.org ...
> oh, forget about it, I'll just go to
> www.bigsite.com").
>
> \kief