Subject: Re: UKNM: State of the Nation
From: kahlil garbo
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 18:48:40 +0100

---Nabil Shabka <nabilatbibliotech [dot] net> wrote:
> Why is so much technology invented
> here and then exported in order to be exploited?
> Why are companies so slow to adapt to new methods?

One of the key benefits of the Internet in the context of the global
economy is that once you have a successful product, that initial
investment can be leveraged into other markets - take Yahoo! as an
example. Once the US version was off the ground and successful, they
made strategic partnerships worldwide and capitalised on their
investment. I see Scoot are taking a similar route with Scoot Belgium
and Scoot Holland.

This basic tenet of the New Economy is one that has seemed to pass by
many business managers in this country, in contrast to the zeal and
fervour of US entrepreneurs. Britain, along with countries like
Finland have a strategic advantage in the EU in terms of
infrastructure and market penetration. An advantage that that is being
quickly squandered.

There are two ways out: one, we could form a well-funded trade body
uniting organisations (companies, special interest groups like PACT,
BIMA, IWA etc) that wish to advance the Internet in the name of
commerce and free trade and *agressively* lobby Government, which is
now rapidly realising that inward investment from South East Asia is
not going to shore up the economy.

Two, get a cheap flight to America. Eat steak, watch baseball, learn
how to mix a good Martini, watch reruns of Joanie Loves Chachi and
just generally soak up American culture. Why? If this parlous state
continues, then chances are all of us (entrepreneurs excluded) will be
working for Americans and you'll need something to talk to your boss
about!

Sajid Mohammed