Subject: RE: UKNM: Brand-building banners
From: Ben Metcalfe
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:52:38 GMT

(BTW poor placements: I was recently visiting FreeServe Auctions
(fsauctions.com) and saw on their front page that the advert was for
QXL.com!)

On a similar note I was discussing adverts with an 'expert' - he recommended
that banner ads should be in the form of Operating System style messages
(I'm sure you've seen the ones I mean). This to me seems really stupid as
it only leads to confusion - people thinking that the message really is a
system message and clicking it to find out more. His response was that your
product is then exposed to a greater number of people - my response was
surely if you are paying cost per click then this is just going to eat into
your advertising budget. His further response was that

a) many ad contracts are cost per mille (i.e. exposure rather than
click-through) and

b) that with most products it was impossible to give a clear enough
introduction to the product through a tiny banner ad - by giving the user a
full page you have a better chance of them buying your product (even though
they may not have been originally interested in it.)

I have even heard that some of the ad companies use their sophisticated
advert tracking mechanisms to sniff the user's OS through the operating
system and give them the banner that is correct to their os (i.e. a Windows
banner on a windows os, a Mac banner on a Mac os)

To me this throws up three interesting issues:

1) False/unethical advertising - especially when adverts such as "Your
internet connection is too slow, click here to fix the problem" appear
inside a OS-style box
2) The comment that "banner adverts were not suitable to introduce a product
and engage the user to an extent that they wanted to find out more"
3) There are a lot of stupid people using the Internet who do not know what
the difference is between an advert and a real operating system. However,
joking aside, these banners do work and their use will only continue as more
and more 'newbies' access the internet.