Subject: UKNM: Online Media Buying/Selling..end of the personal touch?
From: Sam Michel
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 11:39:14 +0100

Mornin' all...

Many of you have probably already seen this, it's an interesting article
about how online advertising is sold:

http://www.searchz.com/clickz/102298.shtml

It makes me think of conversations I had with colleagues about how buying
and selling media online could be totally automated _in theory_. Has anyone
come across any automated banner sales technology? Is it feasible?

The technology of ad serving and measurement seems to be progressing at a
hell of a pace, although I'd love to know how much of this is actually
being used by the all-to-busy buyers and sellers of media. Isn't it one
step further to write the plug-in that connects the ad measurement tool,
and the ad-serving tool to the electronic media exchange?

Obviously there's a lot more to planning and buying media...but with the
volumes and complexity of campaigns available, could this free up your
online planner/buyer types to focus on the more 'creative' (in the media
rather than arty sense) side of things?

Toodle Pip

Sam
Chinwag - http://www.chinwag.com