Subject: Re: UKNM: Online Media Buying/Selling..end of the personal touch?
From: Paul Cook
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 14:29:10 +0100

We have been trying to take the first steps towards this for ages and
publishers have a number of issues.

Many major publishers don't like to be compared on click-through figures
without a 6 volume book about how their users are far more valuable than
those of another site.

Until the major publishers can agree to appear on the same page there's
little chance of them appearing in the same database where buyers can bid
for eyeballs based on anything other than how wonderful their brand is in
the traditional world.

Our system can distribute insertion orders and copy instructions in
electronic format for manual entry by participating sites. Even at that
level many publishers feel that they would lose the opportunity to sell the
relative value of their users to their clients.

There are as many emotional issues as there are technical and data privacy
issues. However, if advertisers are looking for quantity rather than
quality there's always the link exchange and what did ever happen to adbot?

Paul

http://www.redeye.com