Subject: RE: RE: UKNM: online gaming stats?
From: Richard Bailey
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:24:47 GMT

Manou,
You must have missed it. Microsoft stepped in with Turbine and released
Asheron's Call. Full 3D 500 square miles of MMPG (Massive multi player
game). There are 8000 players+ each day, most play more than 40 hours a
month. With Microsoft redefining the aspect of on line gaming with dynamic
community quests entire superpowers to fight and huge storylines to follow
in each town. I have played the game for three months and travelled a
fraction of the towns in search of new quests to join and people to hunt
with. The rumour is that this is a flagship game for a later version which
will have more than 15 000 players, a test bed. They only have 7 servers
and never bother advertising the game. It really is a whole world in 3D.
This game will most likely be one of the x-box's flagship games.

The x-box will have a massive advantage over any other games console, a hard
disk, the ability load updates for games new monster levels ect... This
will level the PC and console users out. Online game suffer from cheats and
bots (people who think it is cool to pretend to play and let a computer do
the work, I don't get it either they like to get in the top 1 000 on
www.theCLQ.com , which I can do anyway with out a bot) this means you need
to update the software every 3 months or so. Which you can not do on the
ROM based consoles around a the moment.

Small point Ultima Online ,all current versions, are 2D it uses the old game
ultima Underworld's 2D scrolling graphics engine. Ultima Online 2 (at least
a year away) will be 3D using the Ultima 8 engine.

Richard Bailey
www.Godado.co.uk <http://www.Godado.co.uk>
RBaileyatgodado [dot] com <RBaileyatgodado [dot] com (mailto:RBaileyatgodado [dot] com)>
020 7236 7722