Subject: Re: UKNM: research for a feature... :)
From: Jo Chipchase
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 14:31:27 +0100

Phil Gyford wrote:

>> At risk of incurring the wrath of certain folk... heh heh heh...
>
>While agreeing with everything Stef said before about this, the other
>reason I think it's amazing you keep sending these emails to a list of
>hundreds (more?) people in the industry is that it doesn't make you look
>very professional. Maybe it's just me, but if I saw an article written by
>you now or in 10, 20 years time I'd be thinking "Oh there's an article by
>that woman who just sends mails to mailing lists for research."

Have you ever read any of my features? I would argue that they are pretty
professional in their style and content (give or take a bit of added
silliness here and there).

>I'm not saying that's all you do, but that's how it feels and personally
>I'd want to be a little more restrained in how I appear to people.

Well - that's your perogative. Personally speaking, appearing restrained
is not generally my intention, unless I'm wearing my corset!

Does being "professional" equate to "stuffy and restrained"? Not in my
book. Rather, it equates to doing a job *well* and getting it in on time.

You've
>been on here long enough that surely you could just target the people on
>the list you think might have something relevant to say?

Yes, of course I'm personally acquainted with the "hundreds" of people on
this list, including the many lurkers and have time to email them all
individually.

Perhaps you do
>that too, but whatever, personally I find the constant trawling of the
>list for info annoying and tacky.

Ah but the delete key is just a finger tap away... useful, isn't it?