Subject: Re: UKNM: research for a feature... :)
From: Ruth Brecher
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 17:20:35 +0100

a little belated, but hopefully of interest...

On 8/9/99 I read:

>...I'm writing a feature about search engines for 'Internet' . It will
>focus on which search engines are best for finding particular types of
>information and try to identify the most *effective* search engines.

We often have clients coming to us and asking whether we can
guarantee a good ranking of their web pages after the registration
process of their pages has been completed. The only thing that I can
ever tell them without lying through my teeth, is that I can, after
analysing their pages help them to make changes which ensure that
their pages are at least search- engine-friendly.

This is no guarantee of ranking but will give their pages a good
chance of actually being indexed and if the right measures are taken,
the page also stands a good chance of not being 750th on the results
list.

People always find this rather surprising because the common belief
is that as long as you submit a URL, the page will be indexed by the
search engine and will be found by searchers providing that the right
search terms are used in the meta tags.This is not the case. There
are many factors which influence submission and indexing, all of
which must be taken into account. To illustrate this point there
follow a few examples of some of the factors pertaining specifically
to meta tags.

It is important to remember however, that meta tags are not a magic
solution either. Some search engines do not even read metatags!:

Title length: Some search engines will cut a title off after a
certain number of characters. This itself may not affect indexing but
will not make the listing look good.

It is important to have some keywords in the page title. However, too
many keywords will look like spam to some search engines.

Repeating keywords over and over again can also be regarded as
spamming and so the word becomes less effective when search engines
rank the site.

You can also be penalized if the keywords that you use are not used
as part of the text of your web pages. Some search engines will
automatically skip pages that try to use this tactic.

When using keyword phrases, it is worth remembering that anything
over 3 words long is usually too specific.

The description: It is important to use keywords in the description
to increase search engine ranking.

Another thing to watch out for is the length of the description. Some
descriptions may be too long for some search engines and will get cut
off mid-stream in the same way as very long titles.

Many search engines evaluate keywords in the headline words of web
pages as well.

Also, if the keywords that you use for your pages are within the top
150 used keywords on the web, it will be difficult to achieve a top
ranking for that keyword.

Another thing to bear in mind is it is important to remember that
search engine ranking is not the be-all and end-all of creating an
on-line presence. Even if you do achieve a high ranking during one
month or three, chances are that this will change in time as new
pages are added to the search engine index so keeping a page at or
near the top of a search list would be a full-time job in itself. You
may also find with some search engines that your previously indexed
pages can disappear from the index altogether.

Some search engines however, have a system by which pages are
revisited depending on how often content is changed. This means that
the pages are retained and that information is being constantly
updated which is good for the searcher too.

Another set of factors that must be considered when looking at search
engine listings are off-the-page factors.

One example is whether the pages have been reviewed in a search
engine's associate directory or not. If it has, this can give the
ranking of those pages a boost.

Another example is 'link popularity'. This is something that a web
master can have little control over and no control over whatsoever
when the popularity of his pages are measured against the relative
link popularity of other pages.

There is also a system which is used whereby what surfers select from
search results is measured and these results are used by a search
engine to measure a page's popularity and hence boost it's ranking in
an index.

Although there are in reality a whole host of other criteria which
must be taken into account when a page is being indexed (or not) by a
search engine, these few examples should illustrate the relative
complexity of the process. The best course of action is to ensure
that the factors that a web master has control over should be as
finely-tuned as possible and this in turn may have some impact on
some off-the -page factors ensuring a fair chance of appropriate
search engine indexing.

Ruth Brecher

Services Director - Underwired Ltd - 0171 737 5332 -
http://www.underwired.com Online focus groups and surveys, web site
launches, communications consultancy