Subject: FLASH: OT - Video compression..
From: Ben Park
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 19:59:42 +0100

Sorry for the OT everyone, but you ppl on here seem to know about all types
of software so I thought I'd ask on here.
I can capture video to my computer thru my Hauppage Win/TV Card, but it
captures it as .avi files, which are huge (1min 25, 384x284 video is 268mb).

What I'd like to do is convert it to a .mov file, .mpg, or .rm file (I know
everyone hates Real, but I recently got some downloaded some .rm files from
the net, and they were about 1mb per minute, about 320x240 and when resized
all the way to 800x600 they still look alright).

So does anyone know any software? (free...) - I'm currently
using Netshow Encoder, (same one you install for shoutcast) but it's pants.

For starters, resizing the video to make it smaller when encoding to .asf
doesn't make the file size any smaller, as it just puts a black border
around it meaning that the picture size is still the same size as the
original - what clever dumbass at MS came up with that one? I mean - what is
the point if it doesn't actually make the filesize any smaller?

Also, it lacks the ability to cut say the first 3 10th/second off the
beginning, so you have to save the original .avi at the exact length you
want it, which is difficult, and it refuses to encode if the avi does not
have sound, so even if the sound isn't important, you have to encode it
anyway, making the filesize bigger?
Are people at MS stupid or just pretending?

Ben

flasher is generously supported by...