Subject: FLASH: Another Flash Bug
From: Len Harrison
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 20:50:39 GMT

Hi Flashers,

I seem to be turning up anomalies at a rapid rate these days. Here's
another:

I have a movie clip used as the label for a button.
First frame layer 1 contains a text symbol and a stop instruction. Second
frame (and all thereafter) layer 1 is empty.
Layer 2 is a mask. First frame is empty. Second frame (and all thereafter)
contain the same text symbol as in F1L1.
Layer 3 is a masked gradient. First frame is empty. Second frame is gradient
in zero position. Gradient moves up to a key frame, then down to zero
position again with intermediate steps tweened. Final frame on layer 3 has
an instruction to goto and play frame 2.

Button instructions as follow:
On Rollover telltarget (mc) play
On Rollout telltarget (mc) goto frame 1

Result? MC initializes properly. Rollover works fine. On rollout the mc
disappears. Send it to frame 2, it works fine.
Fix: Cannot use the same symbol in Mask layer Frame 2 as was used in top
layer frame 1. If text is not a symbol or is a *different* symbol it works
okay. Go figure.

Problem with fix: All my text needs to be symbolized for later localization
in German, French, and possibly Japanese. By using a common prefix,
translators can localize quickly with only minimal knowledge of Flash. This
adds a twist to that. Maybe I can make the secondary symbol derive from the
first...

for what it's worth,

len harrison
instructional designer