Subject: Re: FLASH: animated button despair
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 06:33:43 GMT

At 11:50 PM 12/23/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a movie clip symbol with a rollover-rollout animation and an MC
>symbol with an on-release animation and a finally a button symbol. I put
>a graphic symbol of the first frame image from the rollover animation in
>the button's Up keyframe and I placed the 2 MC's in the over and down
>keyframes respectively.

Hi Larry.

Welcome to the list.

What you're trying to do is quite possible but will be a lot simpler when
you start putting the animation movie clip on the main timeline instead of
in the button states, and attaching TellTarget actions to the button
instance on the stage. There are several FAQs and tutorials about this, so
I won't get too detailed. But essentially, you could build all the
animation sequences into one movie clip and include frame labels at the
significant places, including a "parked" label in a frame that has a stop
action in the first frame, to have it start out static. For example, where
the rollover animation begins, label the frame "rollover." Drag the clip
onto the stage in its own layer, double-click it to get "properties," and
under Definition give it an instance name (in this example, call it
"animation"). The instance name is what you use for the Target in Tell
Target. Place the button on the stage and assign a series of Mouse Event
actions to it. For example:
On Mouse (Rollover)
Begin TellTarget (Target: /animation) [note the forward slash precedes
the instance name]
GoTo and Play (Frame label: rollover)
End TellTarget
End On Mouse

Make a series of these actions, one each for rollover, rollout, click,
release, etc. Place stops or loops in the movie clip to make it behave the
way you want when, for instance, rollover state is extended in time.

Some of this you can do with the method you have already been using, but
it's harder to control, some of it's probably impossible, and frankly I
couldn't really follow all you were doing. Mastering TellTarget will give
you a much better tool for a wide range of situations, including control
among several clips and control between movies on different levels.

Marc Hoffman