Subject: FLASH: Re: IE/PC & "_URL" Update
From: Jim Duber
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1999 19:03:34 GMT

Dave Hollinden <dhollindenatSonicFoundry [dot] com> asked:

>Couldn't you do the same thing without the URL? Have the HTML page that
>embeds your Flash movie set a variable in the movie to "true" via a
>JavaScript SetVariable command. Then:
>
>If (variable ne "true")
> Go to and Stop ("alert")
> End If

Interesting thought, Dave. The only problem I see with it is that the
rogue who knew enough to pull the .swf from their cache could just as
easily add the JavaScript SetVariable command to their HTML as well. Or,
am I misinterpreting your suggestion?

Anyway, the idea is to ensure that the files only run from my server (they
are using my CGI resources to send userdata after all).

So again I ask, has anyone else noticed that the "_url" property reports a
different on PCs with IE than on other platform/browser combinations?

As far as I can tell, IE on the PC seems to think the "_url" is the user's
harddrive when the movie file is hosted within an HTML page. When
targeting the .swf directly, it reports as expected.

Here again is the pseudo code I'm trying to implement:

Set Variable: "source" = _url (set at start of movie)

(and)

If (source ne "http://myhost/mypath/mymovie.swf")
Go to and Stop ("alert")
End If

This conditional statement exists well after both the start of the movie
and the frame labeled "alert".

Additional comments/suggestions very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
Jim Duber jimatduber [dot] com dubatsocrates [dot] berkeley [dot] edu
interactive media developer/consultant duber dot com
http://www.duber.com
editor call @ chorus
http://www-writing.berkeley.edu/chorus/call/index.html
co-manager teslca-l