Subject: Re: FLASH: Detect options
From: Mark Kelley
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:48:07 GMT

Rusty,

If you are using I.E. - just load flash as an ActiveX control - in the
object part of the web page assign a value to "codebase" - it should be the
URL and version number of the flash ActiveX control - compressed as a cab
file. The control will automatically load if the user does not already have
that version of that ActiveX control or have their security setting set to
not receive ActiveX controls.

I would suggest using ActiveX controls rather than plugins on I.E. machines.
The ActiveX control provides the same functionality as the plugin but rather
than being tied just to the browser, it is tied to the operating system.
Bottom line, with ActiveX controls your really providing a plugin for the
operating system not just the browser. And the user doesn't have to go
through the frustration of downloading and installing a plugin.

Regards,
Mark Kelley