Subject: Re: FLASH: Re: swf 4, flash 3 player
From: John Croteau
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 17:05:10 +0100

Hi Richard,

> Ok I know this is probably already been covered, but I can't
> remember where the e-mail is : Can a flash 4 site be viewed
> at all with a flash 3 player?
Yes, in most cases Flash 4 sites will display with Flash 3 plugins.

If you go to my Get Properties tutorial the Bird animation is done as a
Flash 4 file.
If you go there with a Flash 4 browser you should see the buttons and
the bird is rotating. If you go there with a Flash 3 plugin you will see
the Bird but it won't be rotating and by an internal Flash 3/4 detection
scheme you will see a text button that says it doedn't work with Flash 3
and if you click it you will go to Macromedia's plugin upgrade page. All
of this is in a single Flash 4 .swf file.
http://www.FlashBible.com/Members/Actionscript/GetProperties.htm

If anyone has poblems with the detection on this page please let me know
asap. I have gone through many versions of this detection script and I
think it is finally working correctly foe all browsers. So please test
it and let me know. If it passes final testing it will be available for
everyone's use. It is very easy to add to any F4 FLA, just create a new
layer, copy one frame and Label your Flash 3 an 4 content frames.
croteauaterols [dot] com (mailto:croteauaterols [dot] com)