Subject: Re: FLASH: trying to shrink size of paragraph
From: Marc Hoffman (Dart Frog Media)
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 01:35:40 +0100

At 01:50 AM 7/20/99 +0200, you wrote:
> [...]

<SNIP>

>the bitmap version is 16253 bytes in size, the vector version is 15142
>bytes: as I suspected, no significant difference in file size.

<SNIP>

the bitmap version is, I guess (the movie is too short to measure
>the time accurately), approximately 4 times faster than the vector version
>of the movie, on my iMac "classic" (233 MHz G3).
>
>it's not that strange: flash has to render each individual character of the
>vector version and paste it to the screen, while it only has to copy & paste
>a block of pixels in the bitmap version of the movie, which is much simpler

I've seen Laurens' files and he's quite right (and I'm duly surprised).
Laurens, I suggested you post the .fla's to the Flasher ftp space; however,
I think your explanation is thorough and posting the .swf's there or on the
web would be an adequate demonstration. The difference in speed is
dramatic. Thanks.