Subject: Re: FLASH: Version 3/4 detection
From: Colin Moock
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 20:19:13 +0100

flasheratshocker [dot] com,Internet writes:
>> John, did you have any luck recreating the situation I encountered in
>> which your Flash 3/4 detector fails on first load of a page, then works
>> when the browser page is refreshed?
>I have had this problem before and thought I had it corrected. Will have
>a new version to test early next week.
john/matt,
you may or may not have been following the thread on the moock flash 4/3/2
detection movie system...i too encountered this "only works when cached"
problem. the fix for me (that was tested quite heavily and seems to work now)
was to add a preloader to ensure the whole detection movie is present before
the get urls are attempted.

once that was fixed, another problem i encountered was that on slow
connections, the first get url (flash 4) would get called but then be
over-ridden by the next get urls (3, 2) being executed before the flash 4
page ever loaded. the fix for that was a version specific stop command after
each get url.

you may simply want to use what appears to be the final, perfectly working
movie posted at:
http://www.moock.org/webdesign/flash/detection/flash4noscript/index.html

there are instructions on how to build it and also sample download files.
since i added the final stop fix, i have not had a single error report
(approx. 3 days, several hundred tests...).

cheers,
colin

--
-