Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash - variables
From: John Croteau
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 08:39:54 +0100

Hi Klyve,

Unlikely Nigel, I had you message in the queue but the complexity of
your questions and the value the answers may give you has delayed any
answer.

> 1) If I want to call from, let's say 3, files onto the same page, how do I
> get rid of what's already been called? ie. clicking on button 'a' produces
> one result, 'b' another etc. So far all I've been able to do is overtype
> what's already on screen.
Files are not pulled in Flash only variables. You can make any variable
null or set it to a new value to eliminate previous values.

> 2) If I can't do this, is there a way for flash to search my files for
> certain keywords and call the relevant details from that?
Flash can only retrieve variables from text files. It can only retreive
values for variables. You could use script, external to Flash, to search
or otherwise process the values of your variables before being retrieved
by Flash.

> 3) Is there a way to search the text file once it has been posted into the
> flash file. ie. If my file is 50 lines long and only 10 show can I search
> for the line/keyword I want.
Again there is no file brought into Flash only values for variables.
Using string functions such as Substring you can create routines to
search for and find characters or strings of characters within a
variable.