Subject: Re: FLASH: query data (ASP) return results to flash?
From: Nigel Randsley-Pena
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 18:46:39 +0100

James,

"Is it possible to have a flash interface, call my ASP..."

Yes. Implementing this is simple.
>From your ASP script you can access the variables that were sent with
Request.form("name_of_variable_sent")
Sending variables back to Flash is done with
response.write("variables_to_send_back")
Don't forget these simple rules when sending data back :
Each variable is sent as a pair "variable_name=variable_value".
The separator for each variable pair is "&".
All data sent back to Flash has to be URLencoded.

> I can see how I could write the results to a text file
> then somehow have flash call it, but is there a more
> elegant solution?

Read above. Writing the results to a text file and then having Flash
read the text file is inefficient.

> Also, what about using flash as a browser interface
> (so to speak) where the wrapper is flash, but within
> the movie it can call ASP pages and the user could
> click around, etc. This would be ideal for a CD-Rom
> or EXE solution where you need to call specific
> content from the web.

This is a BadIdea(tm). The main problem is that you're mixing models. If
you want to do something like this then use Director instead, it will
give you much better control.

Nigel