Subject: Re: Java and Flash
From: Troy M. Gilbert
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 23:27:33 +0100

>Could you tell us more about what you're specifically trying to do?

I am currently working on creating a cross-platform game (as cross-platform
and Java can be). The game will have various inner workings (AI,
networking, databasing, etc.) that would be impossible to implement in
Flash alone. So, as I mentioned in my previous post, I was happy to learn
that Flash Java Edition includes an API. Under closer examination of the
API, I learned that it could be fed by a standard Java stream, so it would
be possible to generate Flash animations on the fly through Java
(particularly in light of the new open-spec).

To make a long story short (too late for that), I essentially want to use
Flash's pre-built vector rendering/animation capabilities as the graphics
engine for my game. Java would allow for much more complex interactions
than the current events that Flash provides.

I hope I have better explained myself. If not, a demonstration site should
be up and functional in two weeks, and perhaps that will better demonstrate
what I have in mind.

>(If this was just a request-for-contacts post then no need to reply, but if
>you're actually attempting to implement something new technically then I'd
>be interested in hearing more about the problem, thanks in advance.)

Actually, it was a little of both. I was hoping to locate some interested
parties by seeing who replied, but I was also curious if it had been
attempted or talked about previously. I've found no mention of anyone using
the Flash API anywhere. But, I've just recently (a few days ago) entered
the Flash arena, so I might be wrong...

Troy.

Troy M. Gilbert
Webbsite, Inc. Site Designer