Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash 4.0 and database queries
From: Jan Vangrinsven
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 09:11:31 +0100

Robert,

Thanks a lot for your example and I'm trying to rebuilt this using
iHTML but I'm still missing something.

I created a file called initiateflash.ihtml, and here I define the
variable initText (to make it more simple I left the SQL query out of
the example and just defined it the hard way <IEQ name="initText"
value="this I want to see in the Flash"> To call the variable in
iHTML I just type :initText

Then I created a flash movie the way you did, I created a text field
with the variable name initText, and the second frame has an
action

LoadVariables("initiateflash.ihtml",0,vars=POST) on frame 5 I put
the stop action.

I was hoping that the flash movie would load the variable into the
textfield, but it doesn't. Any Idea why ?

> > What I have is a constantly updated database in Excel (could be Access
> > if necessary) with jobs on it for an employment agency. What I want is
> > to post this info to a page, hopefully on the fly but updated once a day
> > if easier, so that the agency can just update the data and upload the
> > file as and when wanted.
> >
> > As to servers and cgi's I really don't know. If there is any info you
> > can point me to I'll happily read and respond then.
> >
> If the excel file resides on the server and you run it off the server then
> it is safe to assume you are on an NT machine. But if you want to do any
> kind of server side programming/development then you have to know what
> kind of web server you have, what is the accepted way to access a database
> or have server side processing taking place. I make most of my money
> doing work with ASP though I have worked with many others (and continue
> to).
>
> You are going to have to get to know your sys op. Ask the person what
> your options are.
>
> You can connect up directly to the Excel file with ASP. Of course it
> requires the excel file to be set up logically so the ASP knows where to
> pull info. To me it is easier to use a database like Access or SQL.
>
> What you want to do is not difficult. In flash, create different text
> fields (for formatting purposes) for different chunks of info (Job Title,
> description, etc.). Name the variables for the text fields. Do a POST
> (your situation will not work with a GET) to an ASP (or whatever).
>
> In the ASP You need to access your record set and loop through to create a
> string that will get automatically returned to flash (because of the
> POST), something like: response.write("textField1=" & jobTitle)
> response.write("textfield2=" & description)
>
> So jobTitle and description are variables (or containers) that hold all
> the of the job titles and job descriptions from the database. There is a
> good book on ASP that I highly recommend if you are starting out:
> Professional Active Server Pages Wrox Press ISBN 1-861001-26-6 There is
> definitely alearning curve. Don't expect to get it overnight unless you
> are familiar with other web database stuff.
>
> Use a goto the frame action to get to a frame that display the text
> fields, 1 & 2 and voila - you have a list. You will will have to do some
> basic text formatting in the ASP (like carraige returns, tabs, or whatever
> can be done in a basic text editor)
>
> HTH,
> Rob

> digest mode send: info flasher to list-manageratshocker [dot] com

Jan Vangrinsven
Vaartstraat 67
3000 Leuven
Belgium