Subject: Re: FLASH: Director vs. Flash
From: Warren 'The Howdy Man' Ockrassa
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 20:30:11 +0100

WriXorataol [dot] com wrote:

> I've realized that you can't get Flash to automatically load this "while
> download status bar" which Director automatically shows.

I believe that's a Shock7 feature (hardwired into the plugin); it's
possible a future version of the Flash plugin will have the same thing.

> Is that the only
> distinguishing factor in telling whether a movie was authored using
> Flash/Director.

No. Director files are one whopping *heck* of a lot more interactive and
tend to carry more weight in terms of what's doable/conceivable.
(They're also, usually, bigger. ;)

However the line is definitely blurring to some extent. Superficially
the two can be very hard to tell apart, until the Director files start
getting into deep code.

> Also, as I seem to be unable to find "behaviors" on flash, is it wise to
> create "complex games" such as Lenny Loosejocks (ezone.com) on Flash?

The "Abducted by Aliens" movie would have been better done as Flash --
it would have taken less time to load, would have looked cleaner and
smoother onscreen, and probably would have maintained better sound sync.

As far as the boomerang game goes, that may actually be doable in Flash
4.

Didn't look over the rest. Interesting site, though -- I'll be going
back when I'm not supposed to be working...

Director's great if you want to do some pretty darned complicated and/or
powerful stuff in terms of programming, but there's a lot that Director
does you can also find in Flash.

I guess that doesn't really help much. If you want more info on Director
surf nightwares.

--
becker("digitalMedia").programmer[#senior] = "Warren Ockrassa"
http://www.beckerinc.com/ warrenatnightwares [dot] com (mailto:warrenatnightwares [dot] com)