Subject: FLASH: Installation failures
From: William Skyvington
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 23:50:29 +0100

Failure #1
----------
As an ordinary Mac user of Flash 3, I imagined it would be simple to
purchase and download a Flash 4 upgrade. When my poor little modem finally
delivered the goods, last weekend, I was disappointed to discover that the
installer refused to believe that Flash 3 was present on my machine. A kind
individual at Macromedia named Margaret informed me that this was a bug in
their distribution, and she advised me to download the trial version.

Failure #2
----------
I assumed she meant the trial version of the upgrade. When my faithful
little modem finally downloaded this new version of the Flash 4 upgrade, my
Macintosh quit and told me that a type 3 error had occurred. Margaret
informed me that she meant the trial version of the full Flash 4 product.

Failure #3
----------
When my tireless little modem finally got hold of the trial version of the
full Flash 4 distribution, my Macintosh quit and told me that a type 1
error had occurred. At that point, Margaret gave up, and told me she would
be handing over my case to her QA colleagues. So, I'm still waiting...

Another (OT) installation failure
---------------------------------
Thinking that everything might fall magically into place if only I replaced
my Mac OS 8.5 by the new 8.6, I asked my stoic little modem to download the
tons of upgrade files. The Apple web center expected me to know which kind
of English is spoken by my existing OS 8.5. American English? English
English? Or International English? Considering that I'm neither American
nor British (I'm merely an Australian expatriate in France), and that the
installation manual of my OS 8.5 was printed in the Republic of Ireland, I
concluded naively that maybe my system used International English (whatever
that might mean). Many hours later, my exhausted little modem had lined up
all the twelve components of OS 8.6 on the desktop of my antiquated Power
Macintosh 8500, and I was ready to start the installation process. Would
you believe it, the silly bastard (I'm referring to the installer software)
informed me that it could no further, because it had detected that my
existing OS 8.5 was *not* genuine International English! Jeez, it wasn't
even capable of telling me what sort of English my current system is using
(I still don't know), let along saying something reasonable along the
following lines: "For the moment, mate, your OS 8.5 uses an exotic pidgin
English dialect spoken in the New Guinea highlands, but I'm going to give
you an 8.6 in International English, whether you like it or not." Instead
of that, it just hung up on me.

Will things get better once we reach the year 2000?

Sympathize with us,
William and his courageous little modem