Subject: FLASH: Flash 4 timing loop
From: Harrison, Len
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 20:25:46 +0100

Hi all,

Feeling very dumb today.
Objective: Display a splash screen with option buttons for m milliseconds,
then go on to main movie.

Things I've tried:
Single Frame:
Stop
Set Variable: "interval" = 10000
Set Variable: "startTime" = GetTimer
Loop While (True)
Set Variable: "thisTime" = GetTimer
If (startTime + interval >= thisTime)
Load Movie ("Overview.swf", 0)
FS Command ("loadMovie", "00Overview.swf")
End If
End Loop

Assumption: loop will terminate when Overview.swf loads into level0.

Behavior: Overview.swf initalizes in about 1500 ms., not 10,000.

Multiframe

Frame 70:
Set Variable: "interval" = 10000
Set Variable: "startTime" = GetTimer

Frame 80:
Stop
Set Variable: "thisTime" = GetTimer
If (startTime + interval >= thisTime)
Load Movie ("Overview.swf", 0)
FS Command ("loadMovie", "00Overview.swf")
Else
Go to Next Frame
End If

Frame 81:
Go to Previous Frame

Assumptions: None that I know of

Behavior: More or less the same as before

Variant: replaced If (startTime + interval >= thisTime)
with If ((startTime + interval) >= thisTime)
Result: no change

I have several other variants and a bunch of traces thrown in for some, but
all behave the same way, essentially and these are the two main
alternatives.

Does anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong here?

BTW the Load Movie and FS loadMovie commands are old code, tested, and work
okay by themselves. They exist to support multiple platforms (browsers and
Director, which doesn't support layered .swfs)

TIA,

len harrison
instructional designer
lenhatabtcorp [dot] com