Subject: Re: FLASH: Audio cross-platform problem
From: Dave Hollinden
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 20:55:46 +0100

Unless you set Flash's audio export compression to "Disable", which
disables the ADPCM compressor, then making your sound file 8 bits doesn't
save you anything and can actually work against you. Unless you disable
it, Flash will use ADPCM to compress your file to 5, 4, 3, or 2 bits
depending on your selection, and the ADPCM compressor works better if you
give it a 16 bit file to start with. I always import 16 bit files, even
when I export them at 2 bits.

At 12:17 PM 3/29/99 -0600, you wrote:
>You're completely correct, based upon what I've seen with my sound
>importing...but...
>
>Well, although it's not technically "compressing" a file, I do "reduce"
the file
>to 8bit sound and mono. I mean, it's the internet, you really don't need
>surround sound on it; that's only for the gamers, for the most part (not
trying
>to offend anyone).
>
>Unless I'm sampling something cool (legally, you've got 7 seconds, I believe)
>and then I'll sacrifice sound file size a bit for stereo.
>
>My .02.
>
>Russ
>
>Dave Hollinden wrote:
>
>> At 12:03 AM 3/26/99 -0800, you wrote:
>> >Thanks Russell and Marc. We use SoundEdit16 (Mac) to normalize sound
>> >before we import it into Flash, and we always import at 44kHz, 16-bit and
>> >use Flash to compress. Interesting that compressing in Flash is Marc's
>> >suggestion but precompressing BEFORE Flash is Russell's. Opinions from
any
>> >other Flashers?
>> >
>> >Thanks again,
>> >
>> >Hal
>> >

>> You cannot compress before importing into Flash. Flash does not import
>> compressed files. It imports uncompressed wav's on a PC and uncompressed
>> aiff's on a Mac. Anyone have a different experience?
>>
>> Dave

Dave Hollinden
Audio Engineer
Jet City Studios, Seattle
dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com (mailto:dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com)