Subject: Re: [flasher] Re: Xpost QT: distribution on a cd
From: Ray Broussard
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:31:18 -0000

Ian Richardson also wrote:
> Also when the user gets to the Qt section, and doesn't have it installed,
> can director install it automatically or does this need to be installed
> prior to the programme being run???
Ian,

In Director, you don't want to check for QuickTime in the same movie where
you are using QuickTime.

Here is how I handle it: I use a "Fast Start Projector" with an external
Xtras folder which launches my "checker" movie that checks for the latest
version of QT. My checker movie might check other things, like display
settings as well. If the checker movie finds no QT or a version earlier than
the one on the CD it lets the user either Quit, Install QT or run as-is.

on enterFrame
set whichQTversion = QuickTimeVersion()
if whichQTversion < 4.12 then
go to frame "needsQT4"
else
go to frame "HasQT"
end if
end

If they land in frame "needsQT4" I remind them to restart the projector or
reinsert the CD after installing QT and then I open the QT installer with
something like:

on exitFrame
set myPath = the moviePath
if the platform contains "Windows" then
set myQTinstaller = myPath & "QuickTime\QuickTimeInstaller.exe"
else
set myQTinstaller = myPath & "QuickTime:QuickTime Installer"
end if
open myQTinstaller
end

The folder contains the Mac or Windows QuickTime Installer. A couple of
frames later by something like:

property myLimit

on exitFrame me
if voidP(myLimit) then set myLimit = the milliseconds + 1200
if the milliseconds < myLimit then
go to the frame
else
if the environment contains "Project" then
quit
else
halt
end if
end if
end

which quits my stub projector, but not before giving that open QTinstaller a
chance to get started.

If they either already have QT or click they want to "Run As-Is" then I
send them to my "Main" movie with

go to movie myPath&"main"

My "main" movie contains the authored Director movie which includes QT
content. Use Director menu command Xtras/Protect to either shock or protect
the Checker and Main movies (back them up first).

learn how to make a fast start projector here:
http://www.macromedia.com/support/director/
--delete this word wrap-- ts/documents/d8_fast-start_stub_proj.htm

hth,
Ray Broussard
http://PhotographicVR.com