Subject: Re: importing images/file sizes
From: John Dowdell
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 23:39:48 +0100

At 5:25 AM 5/13/98, Jason M Barnett wrote:
>I have this company that wants me to use flash 3 and also use their
>images (jpg/gif) in the movie. Now, this makes the swf files over 100-200K!
>Which, is very slow for their customers dialing in. The reason for this
>hassle is that this site must look and interact just like a CD they have
>out... maybe Fireworks, is this an option?

I'd second what John C said. Fireworks wouldn't help here because it
*outputs* highly compressed images. If you put that back into Flash then
you'd get another compression coming out again.

I've been seeing more folks recently trying to use humongo pixel-based
images in Flash... I think that clients may be picking up the Flash buzz
and then coming in with inapproprite preconceptions, as you describe your
clients slightly here ("want me to use Flash 3" and "must look like the
CD"). This can be a difficult problem in client management.

The key with Flash is that it can do such cool stuff, but you've got to
flow with it. It's sort of like hearing about this wonderful new internet,
and then trying to run the Ed Sullivan show on it.

One tack you might take is to add the final JPEG-compressed images to the
HTML, and lay the Flash out elsewhere on the page. This might be a way to
satisfy both their urges.

You could also try to hide the load of those bigbig images, perhaps by
showing them only at the end of the Flash movie, giving it plenty of time
to stream in. A lot depends on the content, however.

If they've got a CD, though, then they've probably got Director, and it may
be simpler just to adapt the previous project for the web. Director has
very nice abilities in media-loading and substitution, and it can link to
those JPEG-compressed images without recompressing them.

Tough situation... have to manage the client there. Be sure to get them to
sign off on each stage of the project before investing time in it...!

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Entertainment on the web: http://shockrave.macromedia.com/
Luscious web graphics: http://www.macromedia.com/software/fireworks/