Subject: Flash Goodies from Macromedia!
From: David Baldeschwieler
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 04:57:46 +0100

Hey Folks,

This is not SPAM (but boy am I hungry!)

As you all know, Macromedia has an extensive online support center
dedicated purely to Flash. In fact, if you haven't noticed before, you
can open your browser and go straight to the Flash developers center
just by selecting "Flash Developers Center" from the Help menu right in
the Flash 2/3 application. But what you porbably didn't know is...

Macromedia has just posted a new update to the Dev center, which
features a bunch of COOL NEW STUFF relating to Flash 3. Check it out!

http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/whatsnew

This month's features include (among other things):

a) A 2 player Tic Tac Toe game made entirely in Flash 3!

b) Part 1 of a great article by Glenn Thomas (Smashing Ideas Animation)
about how to plan and implement a game using Flash 3 (part 2 coming next
month...)

c) A quick reference sheet for all the Flash 3 keyboard shortcuts,
printable from your web browser.

I am sending this out because the Dev center is a place on the web that
every one of you should know about and explore. It's full of great
stuff, and will continue to be updated monthly. But also, to be honest,
because the Tic Tac Toe game is, I believe (and please correct me if I
am wrong), the first 2 player game ever to be made in Flash (of course 2
people need to be sitting in front of the same computer to play each
other...). I created the game, and I'd love to hear your feedback on it
(please post to the flasher list - my in box is already out of control).

I also want you all to check it out because you can download the source
.fla file to your computer and take it apart to see how I am doing all
the stuff that makes it work. This game uses a LOT LOT LOT of tell
target actions and movie clip symbols to do it's magic, and I am hoping
that by looking at it and learning how it works, you'll get ideas about
how to do even COOLER things with Flash to REALLY take this
vector-web-animation-thing-a-ma-jiggy to the next level!

Be aware, you NEED the Flash 3 plug-in to see the game online, and you
NEED the Flash 3 application to open the .fla (You NEED to download the
newly posted FREE 30 day trial version of Flash 3, which is exactly the
same as the shipping version of Flash 3!
http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/trial
The Flash 3 Public Beta will work to open the file, but there were some
bugs in the public beta that make the game break in test-movie mode.)

Sorry about the super-long message. Thanks for reading, and enjoy!

-David B...
-Flash QA Team