Subject: RE: Talking about Bandwidth-Some People Are Missing The REAL ISSUE
From: George Kuch
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 14:36:01 +0100

On Thursday, May 21, 1998 1:23 PM, Matt Gitchell [SMTP:mattgatnavidec [dot] com]
wrote:

> They hire us to get their message out to as many people as they can.
Often
> times, this means that we design a site so that AOL 3.0ers can use it
without
> downloading anything, or even for Netscape 2.0 or higher (both of those
elements
> make my toes curl, BTW).

I couldn't agree more, as designers we are always looking for new creative
ways of advancing our craft, but then the reality of clients gets in the
way. Most of our clients are getting more knowledgable and when you
propose something new to them the insist, (I would too) I knowing how many
of the visitors can see these new innovations with no effort on the
visitors part. In other words, can they see it without having to download
and install any new software?

For most clients we use current site logs to determine the type of browsers
they are using to justify or not justify to the client the degree of bells
and whistles to be included in the site. First and foremost must be the
content and the company's message. If we can show, and they agree, that
this can be done while still using tools like Flash, then it is used, if
not they are left out. The clients audience must be served before the glitz
can be added.

We have one client which wanted Flash, but also wanted visitors without
Flash to be able to see all the content without them having to install
Flash, so we built an entrance with a path to a Flash site and a non-Flash
site. It can be found at: www.maxell.com/av/

**Sorry, but the rant went on longer than I thought it would.

George Kuch - Internet/Web Development
SSD&W Inc.
gkuchatssdw [dot] com
georgekatcybernex [dot] net