Subject: Re: Java Flash Questions
From: John Dowdell
Date: Fri, 22 May 1998 19:42:34 +0100

At 2:28 AM 5/22/98, Joe Crawford wrote:
> - Aftershock is what I need to use the Flash player, yes?

Aftershock makes it easy to choose a media-substitution strategy... you
don't *have* to use it to download the Flash Java Player on demand, but
it's a lot easier than scripting it manually.

> - The .jar, .zip, and .class files are used by different JV
> machines - which ones use which? Should I care?

Nah, shouldn't care much... just upload 'em all. Java-enabled Netscape 4
uses JARs (Java Archives, single-package, compressed), and IE/Win32 uses
CABs (cabinet files, single-package, compressed), and Netscape 3.0 browsers
use ZIPs (single-package, uncompressed), and some of the minority browsers
use the raw class files (many HTTP connections).

Although you can upload just the class files, the additional formats are a
courtesy for people with more modern browsers... will help them download
faster.

> - I had trouble making a .swf file (version 2) use java - not
> sure what I did wrong - What I did was:

A good first step is to check whether that browser can view the Flash Java
test files on the Macromedia website. This would help point towards either
the browser's Java configuration, or the upload process.

> - Any tips on using Aftershock successfully?

Biggest one is that the "Scripting" page is most important, and the popup
menu is the most important on that page. You can greatly customize that
Scripting page, but most times, just flipping the "Scheme" popup will do
it.

One other tip is to stay with the "Robust Java" default on the "Java" page.
Some older versions of Java just don't play up to par, and dropping down to
GIF on those pages is probably a kinder thing to do for the audience.

Save out in Flash 2 format for Java playback, too... the Java Player
doesn't understand transparency and other new features yet.

(We've also currently got an Aftershock/Dreamweaver intercommunication
problem, because Dreamweaver will fail if an OBJECT tag does not have WIDTH
and HEIGHT attributes. Please be sure these are filled in, until we can fix
the problem, thanks.)

jd

Private email options: http://www.macromedia.com/support/priority.html
Entertainment on the web: http://shockrave.macromedia.com/