Subject: Re: Which is better? Flash/Real or Director
From: Nigel Randsley-Pena
Date: Sun, 24 May 1998 18:11:53 +0100

Hi Wayne :

First off you should test converting your quick time files.
If they're for CD I guess the frame rate should be around 15fps with a
data rate of 150 or 300 at least maybe with sound ?
Well if this is the case I usually do the following :
Get the movie files into after effects and start tweaking them basic
routine is to get the frame rate down to a max of 8fps with a data rate
below the 150k mark. I also strip off the sound track and get it down to
11025 mono 8 bit in sound forge. Have to be aware of factors that make
high and low frequencies drop out.
After everything is ok sound and image wise i save a new movie file and
work from that one. BTW don't forget to ajust the movie H/V size and
ratio if needed.
Depending on how well you where able to do the first step, and this
depends a lot on the type of movie you started with ( that's why i just
love talking heads), you've got the input for director or the real
encoder. I usually try real first aiming for real flash because I have a
feeling it is better than Director but also and most important because
it's quicker to produce vis a vis director.
I understand your shop is mac so you'll know better than myself how good
the new streaming quick time format is. I haven't played with it yet
been to busy with the indeo format.

Hope this helps.