Subject: Re: NO MIME Flash Sites - Week 1
From: Ben Rogers
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 17:04:49 +0100

Hi John

Thanks for alerting us to this problem.

We now use the extra tag in our Flash html:

TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash"

...but we also realise that this is not a cure-all for every Flash capable
browser. I made a test site weeks ago with this tag missing & sure enough,
testing today, the page does not load the .swf file in Netscape 3.02,
whereas it will with the extra tag (in other pages). So this indicates to me
that the MIME type is not set correctly on our server.

We contacted the company who host our sites & explained that the above test
had been made in the past and worked and that it now didn't work... even
though *we* had changed nothing. Furthermore we explained that someone else
had noticed the absence of the MIME type setting (you). They are adamant
that it *is* set correctly, even in the face of all this evidence. They are
not even prepared to try any sort of troubleshooting.

I would be very grateful if you could suggest anything which we could say to
them to a) prove the point without question, & b) some kind of remedy that
they seem to have missed.

Many thanks in advance,

Ben