Subject: Re: tell target voodoo
From: David Baldeschwieler
Date: Fri, 29 May 1998 04:14:27 +0100

David,

The "Tell target" UI for button and frame actions is designed to display
the instance names of targets that exhist in the timeline during the
"lifetime" of that button or frame. So, to use your example:

Say you have a frame action on [layer 1, frame 10] which is a tell
target, and you want to target a movie clip instance which is on [layer
2, frame 20]. If there is a keyframe on [layer 1, frame 15], then the
"lifetime" of your keyframe with the action attached is from frame
10-14... because at frame 15, that frame gets replaced by a new frame
in the same layer. So therefore, it can not possibly ever send an action
to something on frame 20. The same would be true of a button on [layer
1, frame 10]. The keyframe at frame 15 ends that button's "lifetime" on
the timeline. Does that make sense?

However, in the same case, if you have a frame action on [layer 1, frame
10], and a target on [layer 2, frame 20], and you insert a frame on
[layer 2, frame 15], the action on [layer 1] should STILL be able to see
the target on [layer 2, frame 20], because the span of that [layer 1]
frame action is not interrupted by another frame on [layer 1] before
frame 20.

THis stuff is hard to explain over e-mail. I wish I could draw it out
for you, but hopefully this makes sense. If you are still using the
public beta, you MUST download the new FREE trial version from the MM
web site or get the shipping Flash 3 CD, because there were several
"Tell Target" bugs that were fixed post beta. If you are using the final
version, and you still think you have a bug, send me an e-mail and we'll
take it from there...

Something that's important to remember about "Tell Target" actions is
that an instance which is not currently visible (beneath or left of the
playback head in the timeline) can NOT recieve a tell target command. A
target must be currently visible to the player/plug-in (although not
necessarily to the end user) in order to recieve a tell target action,
even if it is visible to the "Tell Target UI".

Hope that helps!

-DB