Subject: Re: FLASH: Giving out source files
From: David Gary
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 17:45:15 +0100

"Russell E. Unger" wrote:

> Quick and simple answer for you (and the rule I go by):
>
> When it's paid for, it is theirs. No real bargaining chip beyond that, ya know?
>
> Russ

Hiya Flashers,

With all due respect Russ, that is not a professional answer. Rights to use the
artwork are
different than rights to revise the artwork in the future. FLA files will give a
client the
ability to do do just that, passing them on to another firm to "update" the
animation's
or artwork. This can cause libel rights lawsuits among artists and their clients(A
bad way to do business if you ask me)
This is what contracts are for and it should be specifically outlined in the
contract as to what rights the client
has to the artwork. By default the freelance artist or firm that creates the artwork
owns the copyright unless
he/they are contracted for "work for hire". "Work for hire" practices are
discouraged by the freelance community.
This is why new comers to this biz need to educate themselves before doing business.

There are 3 major usage rights :

1.unlimited rights
2.exclusive unlimited rights.
3.buyout.(usually discouraged)

Any artwork you do, you automatically own copyright. New comers here need to
understand that,
when commissioned you dont sell you're artwork, you sell the "rights" to _use_ your
artwork, regardless
of the fact that it is a commissioned logo created for another company's brand.
"So-called" professional freelance artists
are popping out of the woodwork since the internet started and they're cutting this
industrys' throat by not
educating themselves.

I advise anyone charging other people to create artwork, animations, or whatever,
goto http://www.gag.org
to educate yourself and keep the integrity of our profession.

(No, I dont work for them, I do support the industry however)

-DG-

-David Gary-
Interactive Producer/Designer
http://www.davidgarystudios.com
dgarystudiosatmpinet [dot] net (mailto:dgarystudiosatmpinet [dot] net)