Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash and Director
From: John Dowdell
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 22:58:59 +0100

At 8:51 PM 5/12/99, Tom Green wrote:
>Is there any place or does anybody have anything that clearly explains,
>with lucid step-by-step examples regarding how to embed Lingo scripts
>into a Flash movie for use in Director.The examples given in the
>Director material don't exactly explain this in an understandable
>manner and it is something my multimedia students should know.

In addition to John C's link, note that you wouldn't usually put Lingo
scripts into Flash itself anyway. It's easier to have Flash pass a simple
message out to its host. In a simple browser this can be an URL... for
JavaScript it's FSCommand to call a function... in Director you'd pass the
name of a handler out from Flash to the host. Director itself would hold
the scripts.

Tip: The more general, regular, and documented you make your API between
the two tools, then the more flexible and sustainable each environment can
be.
For instance, if you decide that Flash can pass three messages out to
Lingo (say, "event: GoNext", "event: GoBack", and "event: GoEnd"), then
your Lingo scripts can perform appropriate tasks when catching these
messages. This is stronger than having the Flash piece say "lingo: go to
frame 483" or whatever... when one object requires intimate knowledge of
another object's innards then the overall architecture is fragile and
brittle.
Rephrased, please be sure to think of it as the passing of messages
between the two environments, thanks.

jd