Subject: Re: FLASH: graphic basics
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 16:38:32 +0100

At 01:28 PM 5/16/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Anyone can help me to understand the basics of graphic importing ?
>I don't understand when do I have to render bitmap images and simple rules
>for images importing formats...

Flash works best with vector images, not bitmaps. Vectors will generally
consume less file space and if you are tweening an image (animating its
position, size, or color on stage), a bitmap will usually require a lot
more processor activity and hence will tend to slow things down. The most
efficient vectors will be those created in Flash or in Freehand 8.01+
(which exports directly to Flash format).

Sometimes you may want to use bitmaps as backgrounds or as small images in
a presentation. Aside from requiring more file space, they won't hurt your
presentation, although they usually won't look very good unless they're
displayed at 100% (meaning you will have to fix the display size of your
Flash movie to 100% rather than allow it to scale to fill a browser window).

If you import images, try to import lossless format (for example .gif,
.bmp, etc.) rather than those using a lossy compression scheme (e.g. .jpg),
since quality of a lossy-compressed image erodes every time it is altered
and resaved. Flash has the ability to compress images in a lossless mode,
which is most likely what you will want to use.

Many Flash designers either hand-trace bitmap images and used the resulting
Flash vector image, or they use Flash's autotrace function to convert the
bitmap to a vector. The latter will not always produce acceptable results;
a very complex bitmap may autotrace into a vector image that has so many
vertices it is actually larger than the original bitmap. Adobe Streamline
is also a useful utility for converting bitmaps to vectors.

The manual adequately explains which formats are supported and how to
import them. If you do not have the manual, you may download it in pdf
format from Macromedia.

-Marc

Marc Hoffman