Subject: Re: FLASH: Overall Design Question - mixing flash and html
From: Nigel Randsley-Pena
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 15:39:44 +0100

Kath,

Ah ! Wine ! Now this is something I like.
About your comments, in no special order.
First I would loose the Flash intro, not because it's a bad idea de per
si, but I think it's wrong work flow management.
Let's take your site as is. 100% html with graphics that are easily
redone in Illustrator or Freehand, if they didn't already come from one
of these programs. This would be my starting point for a redesign.
Instead of investing time on a Flash intro I would apply this time in
creating a first page where I would either place a Flash auto detection
script or a user guided choice alternative. Leaving the existing site
for the non Flash users, I would start by replacing all graphical
elements with Flash based elements. One area that just cries out for
Flash is the left hand side menu bar system.
This work flow should keep you busy for some time and will let you
experiment and get into Flash usage in a more gentle way. It is also
less disruptive in terms of major redesign.
Once you've reached this level you will be able to evaluate user
preferences, just browse through the server statistics and check which
pages get more hits, the Flashed ones or the non Flashed ones. Show your
bosses how much easier and quicker it is to navigate the Flashed
version, this will get them in the right frame of mind to OK further
work on the Flashed version.
A second step would be something like Flashing the Wine Country selector
area. Try starting out with Italy. Create a Flash version with the same
info you have right now, you know interactive map and so forth.
OK, enough for now.
Oh, by the way I caught a 404 on the wine tasting guide, and your
selection of portuguese wines is really bad. Why don't you have a single
decent portuguese wine ?

Nigel