Subject: Re: FLASH: sound
From: Vivian Pavez
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 01:39:27 +0100

> Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 21:54:29 -0700
> From: "Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media" <mailatdartfrogmedia [dot] com>
> Subject: Re: FLASH: sound
>
> At 01:23 PM 5/21/2000 , you wrote:
>
> >Hello:
> >
> >If someone knows something about sound, plese, help me to clarify this
> >doubt
> >
> >What is the difference between sample rate and bit rate?
> >I know that sample rate is the frequency of sampling of the sound that
> >determines its quality (resolution) and defines in khz... bit rate
> >apparently defines in bits or kbps but i don't know what it determines.
>
> You are right about sample rate -- it's just the number of times per second
> (1 kHz - 1,000 cycles per second) that the sound is measured. What digital
> sound attempts to do is to record a sound wave as a series of numbers, each
> measuring the wave at a moment in time. The more measurements per second,
> the higher the fidelity, up to about 40kHz, beyond which there's probably
> not a difference discernible to the human ear. A common analogy is to
> imagine trying to draw a smoothly curved wave form on paper by using only
> dots. The closer the dots are to each other, the more the drawing resembles
> a smooth line rather than a series of disconnected dots. Think of sample
> rate as the horizontal spacing of the dots.
>
> Bit rate has to do with the range of values used to record each of those
> measurements. Think of it as the vertical resolution of the dots in your
> drawing -- more values to choose from means the vertical spacing is tighter
> and smoother. Bit rate (known as bit depth in color theory) is the number
> of binary digits used to store a single value. A bit rate of 2 would give
> only four values to choose from for each measurement -- 0, 1, 2, or 3.
> Obviously this would not give you a lot of range to measure the sound.
> 16-bit is the standard for CD quality. 8-bit is usually fine for music,
> especially in multimedia where users aren't usually expecting the same
> quality they hear playing a CD on a high-end stereo system. Depending on
> what type of compression is used, 5-bit can also be okay for music. Lower
> bit rates are usually good only for voice and sound effects that have lots
> of noise in them already.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Marc Hoffman
>
> Poison Dart Frog Media
> Flash portfolio: http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/portfolio

Yes, its answer was very complete, thank you very much

--
Vivian Pavez
vpattransforma [dot] cl

TRANSFORMA
http://www.transforma.cl

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com