Subject: Re: FLASH: turning over .fla files
From: Cheri Harder
Date: Fri, 26 May 2000 19:01:04 +0100

Hi, Helen

I read your mail in a little different light, I think. I think you are
talking more about something I just completed, which I will briefly
describe.

End client wants a web site application/site/Flash movie
Client contacts and contracts with a design firm (not me)
Design firm sub-contracts me the Flash programming
Design firm provides all graphics and sound to me
I put it all together into Flash movie and make it work.
Design firm wants fla as a backup

I think it is only good business practice for the design firm to want the
fla. I feel I worked as part of a team, in this case, and that a great deal
of the fla belongs to the design firm

I upped the price, but gave them the source, and the design firm has no
intention of giving the fla to the end customer.

Now, you didn't mention anything about sharing any of the work (ie, the
graphics or layout etc...) but I think you are talking about this type of
situation, yes? I had concerns about my decision, as well, but decided that
if I were them, I would definately need the "comfort" as it were of the fla
in my possession, since I am responsible for it to the client.

I thoroughly agree that there needs to be a contract, though, even with this
type of "partnership"

~~~~Cheri Harder~~~~~
charderatawsolution [dot] com
Advantage Web Solution
www.awsolution.com

> I'm not sure what's standard, but we always
> have contracts for the jobs we do, even with a
> middleman. The contract will define the terms
> and will dictate what you must and must not
> relinquish.
>
> The main advantage to contracting rather than
> regular employment is that you should be able
> to define your own means of completing the job
> (time, place, method, etc.) provided that you
> fulfill the requirements of the contract.
>
> The law of your country will dictate what is
> expected in the event that something is not
> discussed in the contract. I believe both
> Canadian and American contract law allows, by
> default, the contracted company to retain
> ownership of anything that is not the final
> product. So I think the FLA should be
> considered a 'method of completing the job'
> and not a final product. Your methods are, by
> default, your own intellectual property, unless
> you surrender them explicitly in the contract.
>
> My company writes a lot of custom software,
> and we (very) rarely give away any source
> code, and when we do, we get compensated.
> The source code (or the FLA in this case) is the
> method, not the product. It's not usually
> economically smart to hand over your means of
> production to someone else.

> > Would delivery of a .fla file to a company to whom you are
> > subcontracting (not the final client, who probably just wants a working
> > flash demo) fall into the same category as delivery of a .fla to a
> > client? ie, would it be standard to include an extra charge (in
> > addition to rate charged for the .swf/.exe) for delivery of the .fla to
> > the company who has hired you (as a consultant, not an employee) to
> > produce a flash demo?

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com