Subject: FLASH: More text field scrolling questions
From: Mark Sheppard
Date: Mon, 29 May 2000 22:30:15 +0100

I have set up a scrollable text field also , which is importing from a text
file. (tut. on Mooks)

The problem I am running into is that I want to use continuous feedback
buttons to control it, and don't know how to pass the variable "up?"a level
from the MC that acts as the button.

I have the main time line and a "news page" that is loading into level 1
with the textfield.
Then two MCs which are each 4 frames with 2 layers containing the buttons.
Every other frame has a button with :
*MC up arrow:

On (Press, Drag Over, Drag Out)
Set Variable: "clicks" = clicks + 1
If (content.scroll < content.maxscroll)
Set Variable: "content.scroll" = content.scroll + 1
End If
End On

Also the variable "clicks" is used to set the text field back to line one
when loading new text files (old news) so that variable also needs to be
sent . (This works ok on a plain button so far)
To load a new text file the button action is:

On (Release)
Set Variable: "content.scroll" = content.scroll -clicks
Load Variables ("news.txt", 1)
End On

Another question is, is it possible to have the text file to be loaded set
as a variable so I can have one button to load subsequently older news? i.e.
news1.txt news2.txt news3.txt.

Actually it would be really cool to have these listed in reverse order so
the end client could just rename the current news to
news5.txt if news.txt 1,2&3 allready existed.

I am definatley new to actionscripting, and sometimes it really feels like
my head is about to explode : )

Thanks in advance
Mark Sheppard
aka Zachnefein
zach29atcolumbus [dot] rr [dot] com

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com